Thursday, October 16, 2008

My View on the Union

Here's Anibator's rant on TAG.

My view on TAG is that it's as strong as its members allow it to be.

The union can't do a damned thing for you if you quiver in fear, saying nothing. You've been stepped on by the studios. So have your coworkers. You kvetch to each other about it. But what do you do to stop it?

You want the abuse to stop? Then make a stand.

I'm not saying be all Norma Rae, but there are little things you can do.

When real abuse happens, call the union. Your dues pay for its existence, make 'em worthwhile.

Stop taking tests.

Stop the unpaid overtime. The schedules are completely unreasonable, what do you get when you kowtow to them? A break? A bonus? Respect? NO. You get crapped on even more.

SO STOP IT.

One time I tried to write in the real hours I worked on my timesheet. I was told to redo my timesheet. That's illegal. I kowtowed. What did that get me? Not a damned thing other than a shorter schedule the next season. I sold out. YOU SHOULDN'T.

THE STUDIOS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR ANY OTHER ARTIST.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.

IF YOU SAY NOTHING, THE UNION CAN'T HELP YOU.


What do you truly have to lose these days? Come on, we're as screwed as screwed can get. We get NO respect, NO time to do our job effectively, NO budget, NO studio loyalty for doing our job, and NO joy in doing something we used to love to do.

Look at your fellow artists. Are they as miserable as you? Then get together and quietly start changing our reality. We can't strike, but we can stop the insults.

No comments: